The government can seize private property for a governmental or public purpose.  The legal terms are “eminent domain” or “condemnation”.  For example, governments frequently take private property to construct roads.

However, when governments exercise this right, they must pay the property owners reasonable, or “just”, compensation.  If the government is taking your property, and you do not believe the amount offered you is reasonable, you may need a strong advocate to obtain reasonable compensation for you.  Contact our Eastern North Carolina trial attorneys to schedule an attorney consultation.